The reboot of Urusei Yatsura anime by David Production revealed a first key visual along with a trailer and cast additions. The 4-cour anime will premiere this October, but it is not clear if all cours will air consequently.
Urusei Yatsura reboot was announced on January 1, 2022. Staff listing is available:
- Director: Takahiro Kamei, Yasuhiro Kimura, and Takahashi Hideya
- Character designer: Naoyuki Asano
- Series composition: Yuki Kakihara
- Music: Masaru Yokoyama
- Art design: Kaoru Aoki
- Art director: Masanobu Nomura
- Photography director: Yuichiro Osada
- Editing: Kiyoshi Hirose
The new cast additions are Miyuki Sawashiro and Wataru Takagu. The main cast now includes:
- Hiroshi Kamiya as Ataru Moroboshi
- Sumire Uesaka as Lum
- Maaya Uchida as Shinobu Miyake
- Mamoru Miyano as Shutaro Mendo
- Miyuki Sawashiro as Sakura
- Wataru Takagi as Sakuranbo
Urusei Yatsura is based on a romantic comedy manga by Rumiko Takahashi, serialized from September 1978 until February 1987. The first anime adaptation had 195 episodes and aired from October 1981 to March 1986. It was animated by Studio DEEN and Pierrot.
Viz Media is publishing the Urusei Yatsura manga in English and describes the plot as:
In a high-stakes game of tag, Ataru must touch Lum’s horns in ten days—or aliens will take over the earth! The fact that Lum can fly doesn’t make Ataru’s job any easier. As it turns out, the game of tag is only the beginning of Ataru’s troubles, as he continues to attract strange encounters with otherworldly beings like beautiful snow spirit Oyuki and the sexy crow goblin Princess Kurama!
Source: Official Twitter
©Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan / “Urusei Yatsura” Animation Production Committee