February 13, 2021 is the date that marks the announcement of the winners of the Tokyo Anime Awards 2021 Anime of the Year award. “Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!” and Violet Evergarden Movie both won the Anime of the Year award. Judges had to pick the winners from the top anime films and TV series that premiered between October 1, 2019 and September 30, 2020. What’s more, there were 100 titles competing (80 TV anime and 20 theatrical anime). So, the winners of every category are as follow:
- Violet Evergarden Movie (Feature Film)
- Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! (TV Anime)
Anime Fan Award
- IDOLiSH7: Second Beat!
- Writers Category: Reiko Yoshida (Violet Evergarden Movie)
- Directors Category: Haruo Sotozaki (Kimetsu no Yaiba)
- Animators Category: Akira Matsushima (Kimetsu no Yaiba)
- Visual Artists Category: Mikiko Watanabe (Violet Evergarden Movie)
- Sound Artists/Performers Category: Yuki Kajiura (Sword Art Online: Alicization – War of the Underworld)
Also, the festival will be happening from March 12 to March 15 in Ikebukuro. Moreover, it will feature additional entries from around the world in categories such as Feature Animation Competition or Short Animation Competition. Additionally, the Grand Prize and Award of Excellence will be given to two films from each of those categories. More awards may get an announcement at a later date as well. We are very happy to see Violet Evergarden Movie winning the Anime of the Year award!