The Wind Breaker anime revealed a teaser trailer, key visual, and an April 2024 release date. The news was revealed in a Wind Breaker special information livestream earlier today. Studio CloverWorks will animate the series. See the new key visual below:
Leading up to the new announcements, the anime revealed the main cast:
- Haruka Sakura: Yuma Uchida (Reo in Blue Lock)
- Kyotaro Sugishita: Koki Uchiyama (Shigaraki in My Hero Academia)
- Hayate Suo: Nobunaga Shimazaki (Mahito in Jujutsu Kaisen)
- Hajime Umemiya: Yuichi Nakamura (Gojo in Jujutsu Kaisen)
- Toma Hiragi: Ryota Suzuki (Bisco in Sabikui Bisco)
- Akikiko Nirei: Shoya Chiba (Ayanokouji Kiyotaka in Classroom of the Elite)
The anime is based on Satoru Nii’s Wind Breaker, which debuted in Kodansha’s Magazine Pocket in 2021 and has been collected into 13 volumes as of August 2023. The manga was among AnimeJapan 2022‘s most desired works to get an anime adaptation. Prior to this news, Wind Breaker released a teaser visual of the anime in March and revealed 6 members of the main cast through stylish character trailers. Print copies of Wind Breaker by the North American licensor of the manga, Kodansha USA, are also expected this fall.
Kodansha USA describes the manga:
Haruka Sakura wants nothing to do with weaklings—he’s only interested in the strongest of the strong. He’s from Fuurin High School, a school of near-dropout degenerates known only for their brawling strength. And in a town known for its territorial disputes, Haruka’s got only one goal—become the hero his town deserves.
Satoru Nii unveiled a special illustration to commemorate the announcement:
Source: Live Stream
© Satoru Nii, Kodansha / WIND BREAKER Project