Suzume by Toaka and RADWIMPS, the theme song for Makoto Shinkai’s movie of the same name, is now available in full ahead of the November 11 opening in Japan. RADWIMPS, who are composing the music for the movie with Kazuma Jinnouchi, are also behind the theme song, which was written by their vocalist Yojiro Noda. The song was also featured in both of the recent trailers and can be streamed on YouTube and Spotify.
The Japanese title of the movie is Suzume no Tojimari. The cast was recently revealed in full and includes:
- Nanoka Hara as Suzume Iwato
- Hokuto Matsumura as Souta Munakata
- Eri Fukatsu as Tamaki Iwato
- Shota Sometani as Minoru Okabe
- Kana Hanazawa as Tsubame Iwato
- Sairi Ito as Rumi Ninomiya
- Kotone Hanase as Chika Amabe
- Matsumoto Koshiro IX/Hakuo Matsumoto as Htsujiro Munakata
The plot of the movie is described as:
17-year-old Suzume’s journey begins in a quiet town in Kyushu when she encounters a young man who tells her, “I’m looking for a door.” What Suzume finds is a single weathered door standing upright in the midst of ruins as though it was shielded from whatever catastrophe struck. Seemingly drawn by its power, Suzume reaches for the knob…
Doors begin to open one after another all across Japan, unleashing destruction upon any who are near. Souta is known as a “Closer” who travels across Japan locking these doors shut.
As the door opens, however, the mysterious white cat nicknamed “AristoCat” appears before them. “I love Suzume, but you [Souta] are in the way” as it uttered those words, Souta becomes Suzume’s childhood chair, she has cherished since she was little.
Souta chases the cat as a 3-legged chair, and Suzume sprints after Souta in a panic. Eventually, they will travel together from Kyushu to Shikoku, Kansai and Tokyo on their journey to close doors.
On her travels, Suzume encounters several people who help her as she helps them. But what awaited her at the end of her journey was a certain truth that has been long forgotten.
Guided by these mysterious doors, Suzume’s journey is about to begin.
Staff for the movie, led by Makoto Shinkai, includes:
- Director / Screenplay / Story: Makoto Shinkai
- Character Design: Masayoshi Tanaka
- Animation Director: Kenichi Tsuchiya
- Art Director: Takumi Tanji
- Production Company: CoMix Wave Films Inc.
- Producing Company: STORY inc.