This week’s VTuber News Round-Up is already filled with information, as if the last week of this month is made for the seven stages of grief. We cannot help but to also feel with every one of you. As KSON said: “You support your oshi when you can, then store only those beautiful memories away in a little drawer inside your heart as treasures.” Let’s get right through the stories we have on this yet another extensive VTuber News Round-Up for the week of February 20.
On This Week’s VTuber News Round-Up
Before we proceed, let’s first check out the updates which are spun off from this week’s recap:
VTuber News and Updates That Made It to the Headlines
- Feature: Sing THE Virtual Competition
- Studio A.X. Plans to Work On and With VTubers in the Philippines
- Hololive ID’s Moona Hoshinova Reaches 1 Million YouTube Subscribers
- Nijisanji EN Reveals 2nd Male VTuber Group Noctyx
- Aisha is Thailand’s Best VTuber Influencer for 2022
- Uruha Rushia Officially Terminated From Hololive
- VTubers React to Uruha Rushia’s Termination From Hololive
- Ironmouse’s Ongoing Subathon Breaks New Records: The Breakdown
- Kizuna AI Anime Project Is Now in Production
Now let’s look at the Ugly, the Bad, the Good and the rest of this week’s VTuber News!
We always start our VTuber News recap with the Ugly ones, the ones that make you question “Why?” in a terrible way.
- It’s honestly frustrating to see another escalating conflict, especially when there are people affected—including the likes of Live2D artist Luma Rum, who has to suspend work indefinitely as she is evacuating. We all hope and pray for everyone’s safety.
- The BBC field a researcher to sign up for VRChat as a minor, and the researcher’s age is unchecked. This allowed them to go through several worlds, including those which are for adults. Of course, parents won’t be happy to hear this piece of news, so let’s just not have minors travel along the internet alone anymore, please. There are even the likes of us who have “Do not talk if you’re a minor” as a description on Twitter.
- Nijisanji’s Finana Ryugu and Mika Melatika are reprimanding on Twitter: Mika asks everyone not to reupload her unarchived streams without her permission, and Finana is having enough of people who make fun of the Nijisanji ID & KR merger to Nijisanji domestic in Japan. Professor Oliver Evans himself has had enough of this.
- Observe: Ugly VTuber NFTs. No more, no less. Noriboshi Arielle replied to Jusagi Chan’s tweet, saying “they deter right-click-saving by making it so ugly you don’t want to do it.”
- Poppy Playtime’s developers are on hot water as Froot tells everyone: “The devs promote NFTs and put them in their games.” This prompted Saruei to tweet that she won’t be playing more of the game. Here’s the thing: While the devs are not doing NFTs anymore, they’ll have to wait for the contract to expire before removing the tokens from the game.
In our list of bad VTuber News are personalities taking a break temporarily or permanently.
- We don’t know what’s the bad news for Mythia Batford from Indonesia: Contracting COVID-19 or being noticed by a certain database of codes as its mascot. We wish the indie VTuber all the best and all the rest she can take to fully recover.
- Fans have been concerned about Amatsuka Uto’s radio silence since the start of the year. On the other hand, her mama Nabi has to focus on studies so she will not be able to stream.
- Amano Pikamee is taking a break for family reasons, and she will let us know when she will go back.
- Bartender Takahata was next in the line of VTubers having their Tiktok videos taken down. One of his videos are out due to overt sounds, which is just Projekt Melody eating chicken wings.
- Nobody escapes the YouTube sub drop as Noctyx, the newest Nijisanji EN wave, got their sub counts halved. Not only that, but one of its members Fulgur Ovid got disowned by his sibling to Lam-mama, Kureiji Ollie from Hololive ID, for saying that battle royale games bore him.
- Three VTubers announced their graduation: Indie VTuber Serena Shinju (March 31), Aruru Gray of Production Kawaii (March 2), and Qu Qualia & Inumochi Tirol of Re:ACT (March 31).
Good VTuber News
Thankfully, we have lots of Good VTuber News, something to ease our sorrows.
- Let’s go first with news from Hololive, as their Valentine’s Day meet and greet is successful. Fans get to meet their favorites, including a cosplayer. We also take a peek at what to give and not to give to Yuzuki Choco-sensei.
- Hololive diversifies on Twitter as it launches separate accounts for events and music.
- Speaking of events, train commuters in Japan should see the Hololive Super Expo train ads scattered across the country’s 47 prefectures.
- We know there are two 3D streams this week from Hololive, including the successful Nekomata Okayu Birthday stream. Also, Shiranui Flare’s 3D stream went trending on Reddit’s front page.
- Following the Hololive English x Pixiv Art Battle, a free fan art book is released, with 80+ pages of great art submitted by fan artists on the platform.
- PUBG: Battlegrounds has a Jujutsu Kaisen collaboration, and Moona Hoshinova played it on stream.
- Moving forward to VTuber News from Nijisanji, you’ll see some of their talents in a variety of formats: Five of them have their Eau de Parfum, ChroNoiR in train ads, Kuzuha in the VTuber Style magazine and Kaede Higuchi being interviewed by Yamaha Music.
- KoMETA Virtual Live’s CEO GIRA graced Fandom February last Friday with his talk on the agency’s processes. This, after all of its talents turned on Superchats.
- VShojo’s auditions are now on its next phase—and Ironmouse confirms that they won’t have generations: “The family gets bigger!”
- Good news for fans of Indonesia’s Maya Putri: She’ll go online again—perhaps the more she’s able to get internet, the sooner she can?
Interesting VTuber News
Let’s talk about statistics and other interesting VTuber News next, including KSON’s cross-dimensional cosplay of her VTuber self, named Souchou. Now THIS is interesting.
- Fofamit asks VTubers about their Hygiene—and the results are off.
- This has been asked for quite some time: How do you translate your multi-talented VTuber self into a resume fit for the workforce? Here is HERO’s detailed answer.
- Millie Parfait of Nijisanji EN asks the audience’s opinion on endurance streams. Their response: most of them said 6 to 10 hours.
- Enna Alouette , who just concluded her Higurashi Fan Concert, receives Established Titles for souvenir plots of land in Scotland, and fans now refer to her as “Lady Enna.”
- Speaking of the UK, we have Mysta Rias who debated with Mika Melatika about the use of was/were, a trending topic on Twitter Spaces and visited by a BBC Journalist.
- On Health: Rohto Pharmaceutical’s VTuber Nebasei Cocoro advises everyone to take care of their eyes. Meanwhile, Bao advises everyone to be careful of handling your Ringfits as it can injure you down badly. Also, to all VTubers, please take care of your throat.
- Heads up to everyone: VTubeStudio v1.17.0 is now released with additional features.
Look at these Merch / Events / Music!
- VTuber Joka Tsukuruno launches the BL Manga, “I’m a company employee, but God has asked me to marry him.” The first chapter is available in Japanese on ebookjapan.
- Noctyx First Step Goods & Debut Celebration Voice packs are on sale after their debut—all 14 voice packs! Which one will you pick?
- Meanwhile, in Yabai: Covfefe-chan releases a certain adult merchandise that’s unusual for a VTuber, and 1000 of this got sold out in under 24 hours.
- Here’s the latest music from Hololive:
- Happiness World, the theme song for Houshou Marine and Shirakami Fubuki’s web radio show
- Your Mori. Lo-fi Edition composed with dj-Jo featuring 8 tracks
- HoloCouncil’s cover of Goose House’s Hikaru Nara, the opening theme to Your Lie in April
- IRyS’ second original song See The World
- Watson Amelia’s first offline karaoke collab, bringing together Ouro Kronii, Ceres Fauna, Nanashi Mumei and Ninomae Ina’nis
- Let’s take a look also at some of the latest music from the Indie scene:
- This weekend is also JOM Cosplay, and Moon Jelly successfully infiltrated it—considering that she’s the shortest among the bunch of guests in its VTuber Showcase.
- We’re still not done with Awards Ceremonies—There’s The Streamer Awards (global) and the V-Music Spotlight Choice 2021 (based in Indonesia).
- In the Classifieds Section: Kawa Entertainment opens applications for its first generation—and received more than 150 entries in a single day. Talk about a surprise.
Congratulations On Your Milestones!
We would also like to thank the following VTubers for the following milestones:
- Shirogane Noel of Hololive (1 million Twitter followers)
- Oumiya Emma of CyberLive (50,000 YouTube subscribers)
- Vienna of C9 (100,000 Twitter followers)
- Shylili (200,000 followers on Twitch on Day 21 of her uncapped subathon)
- Lucastre Mavia, whom Monty interviews on his first feature story (on returning to streaming)
- Liliana Vampaia of MyHolo TV (on unboxing of her silver play button)
- Hakui Koyori, Takane Lui and La+ Darkness of HoloX (on their successful movie-viewing)
- AZKi (on her Holo no Graffiti Debut)
- Nijisanji EN
- Shu Yamino (250,000 YouTube subscribers)
- Finana Ryugu (200,000 Twitter followers)
- Enna Alouette (150,000 YouTube subscribers and 100,000 Twitter followers)
- Luca Kaneshiro (250,000 Twitter followers)
- Rosemi Lovelock (200,000 YouTube subscribers)
- Selen Tatsuki (250,000 YouTube subscribers)
- Nijisanji EN YouTube channel (300,000 YouTube subscribers)
- Gita Melodia (Happy Birthday)
- Shee Icho of Production Kawaii (10,000 YouTube subscribers)
- Froot of VShojo (300,000 Twitter followers)
- VTuber Illustrator Lack (on his marriage)
- Illustrator and VTuber Saruei (on her new outfit)
There’s a lot of VTuber Debut (and re-Debut) announcements on the list, including those of Nijisanji EN’s Noctyx and Bubi (which will coincide with each other). Here are the rest:
- Polariz Project Indie VTuber Group to Debut March 6
- Illustrator Kamaniki / Gigi Debuts as a VTuber
- Emirichu now a VTuber—model rigged by Kira Omori
- VIRTUAL:BLOOM “group of virtual collaborators & friends fighting to restore music to humanity” coming soon
- Game VTuber Mio debuts. She is the designer behind Crush Crush—and is a character in the game
- Momosaki Rukka to represent Hinoya Curry as its VTuber
- TomoPulse debuts its first generation, and they have combined the debuts in one video.
- VE Generation Project of Indie VTubers announced; Re-debut happening this March
- WACTOR’s Spanish-speaking Yue Saohime debuts
We have logged in more than 120 entries for this week’s VTuber News Round-Up, and have by far exceeded the number of entries for all recaps. Some entries didn’t make it for this week’s release, but they may still be relevant for next week, so stay tuned.
Wrapping up this week’s recap, Nijisanji ID has concluded its activities with the last NijiCampur stream—and in the next few weeks, we shall recognize them as simply Nijisanji. We’ll leave you with a tweet from Versus:
Just like Shadow who commits to streaming, we commit to the goal of releasing 52 weekly updates for this year. Just like Amane Kanata of Hololive, who is still recovering from COVID-19 and its effects, please take care of yourselves.
Allow me to give a shout-out to the guys at the Things VTuber Say Discord Server too. (You guys rock, and I look up to the way you guys handle the news.) Now, if you have a news tip you’d like us to include in next week’s release, you can Tweet @JayAgonoy on Twitter or email jay.agonoy [at] animecorner.me. Catch you up next week!